It’s the start of 2018 and you have done your annual planning. Does this include the implementation of a digital channel as part of your marketing and client interaction?
Here are a few reasons why you should:
- Of South Africa’s total population of just over 57 million, 30 million has access to the internet, a growth of 7% from 2017
- Social Media users have increased by 20%
- South Africa’s 3 most popular social media networks are Whatsapp, Facebook and YouTube.
The digital channel is something you can no longer ignore.
A good starting point in the digital space is to start with your online profile. Years back, the first impression was made in person but in today’s world people search your name in cyberspace. It is therefore important to make sure that when they find you, see your picture and read your profile that they feel they can trust you. Remember: first impressions last.
Let’s start with LinkedIn. Here are a few quick tips:
- Make sure you have a picture. The addition of a professional photo is the simplest way to improve your profile. Upload a business appropriate, head to shoulders photo – this will definitely personalise your profile.
- The next important part of your profile is what LinkedIn calls the “headline.” This is where most people simply put in their title. Don’t just add your job title. LinkedIn gives you 120 characters to use in this space. Add what you do, your target market, and how you can help them.
- Remember to personalise your LinkedIn address. When you register as a LinkedIn user it generates a system address. LinkedIn however allows the user to change the address. Make it more personal, change it to just your name or your name and title:
Did I mention that it’s free? You have nothing to lose but a few minutes, do you?
Next week we look at how you can use Facebook for more than just idle chatter.